Our cheesecake of the month for February is a doubly delicious Double Chocolate Cheesecake. This may be one of the best cheesecakes of the last 4,000 years.
What, you didn’t know cheesecakes have been around that long? Well, evidently they have.
Here’s a few factoids we discovered at cheesecake.com.
- The first “cheese cake” is thought to have been made on the Greek Island of Samos, where anthropologists found evidence of cheese molds estimated to date from around 2,000 B.C.
- Cheesecake is believed to have been served to athletes at the first Olympic Games in 776 B.C. as an energy-boosting food.
- The dessert was often served as a wedding cake for Greek couples around this time.
- The Greek writer Athenaeus is credited with writing the first Greek cheesecake recipe in 230 A.D.
- A cheesecake recipe was included as one of the recipes in the first printed cookbook in 1545.
- Cream cheese is the American contribution to the cheesecake saga, beginning in the 1870s.
This month’s selection for our Cheesecake of the Month is a rich and indulgent favorite…a creamy chocolate cheesecake made delightfully decadent with a topping of wonderful chocolate ganache. Our chefs recommend you use a high-quality brand of chocolate for best results; they used Ghiradelli.
Here’s the recipe.
Check out the rest of our cheesecakes of the month.