Wedding season’s here and Candace Polk of Wedding Scoop has the—well, the scoop—on the latest unique desserts that are showing up at wedding receptions these days.
A wedding reception is an event where the bridal couple often want to “wow” their guests with something special, and one way to do that is with a unique dessert. So what’s chosen for this special occasion can offer additional insight into what’s turning heads in general in the dessert and sweets category.
Here’s Candace’s top five unique wedding dessert trends for 2011:
1. Macaroons. The soft and airy pastry holds a layer of something flavorful and rich in the middle, like chocolate ganache or flavored buttercream. They’re small bites that deliver beaucoup flavor and come in a rainbow of colors, so brides can match them to the color of the bridesmaids’ dresses and/or flowers. The Food Channel, incidentally, identified Macarons (as we spell them) as a hot dessert trend in 2010. Now they’re a hottie on the wedding reception circuit.
2. Ice Cream Floats. As Candace notes, this is something that tends to bring out everyone’s inner child. Guests can choose their favorite ice cream flavor and mix it with soda, beer, or even wine. A marvelous mix-and-match choice.
3. Infused Strawberries. Here’s the hot new twist on the strawberry bar. Guests get to choose from a variety of liquors and liqueurs such as brandies, Bailey’s, Kahlua, and flavored vodkas that can be infused into the fruit via a syringe.
4. Cake Pops. These decadent little cakes-on-a-stick are sweeping the nation and capturing the hearts of brides-to-be. As Candace says, they can be dressed up or down to suit any occasion.
5. Mochi Ice Cream. A Japanese confection made from pounded stick rice (Mochi) with an ice cream filling. Lots of flavors to choose from: green tea, chocolate, strawberry, mango, etc. This is an emerging dessert trend Candace predicts everyone will be talking about by year’s end.
For more insights and innovations check out CultureWaves®, the place to go for the latest observations in the World Thought Bank – events, ideas, trends and more. Add your own thoughts about anything in life – entertainment, design, technology, well-being and, yes, food. And, take a look at a few of our other Hot & Cool Trends.