Turkey Sandwich Recipe. Thanksgiving dinner can lead to endless leftovers. Chef Jean Georges Vongerichten makes us a turkey sandwich with sides that keep on giving.
Recipe courtesy of CITY magazine.
- For turkey sandwich:
- 1 cup sliced leftover turkey (white or dark meat)
- 1 cup gravy
- 2 slices rye bread
- For the cranberry mayo:
- 1/2 cup cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- For the potatoes:
- 1 Idaho Russett Potato
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 For the turkey: Combine leftover turkey and gravy in a saute pan in an even layer and warm over medium heat until hot.
- 2 For the cranberry mayo: Combine cranberry sauce, dijon mustard, orange juice, salt and ground white pepper in a food processor and puree until smooth. Drizzle in the oil slowly to obtain a thick emulsion.
- 3 For the potatoes: Peel the potatoeand cut into a long fine julienne (use a Japanese mandoline with medium teeth). Rinse the potatoes for 15 minutes under cold running water, then spread onto paper towels and dry well.
- 4 Heat the oil in a one gallon pot until 325 degrees and add potatoes. Fry, stirring with a slotted spoon until golden brown. Remove from oil and blot well on paper towels, then season with salt and pepper.
- 5 To serve: Arrange the bread in the center of a plate. Mound the turkey and gravy on top. Pile the crispy potatoes on top of the turkey and season with freshly ground black pepper and some freshly grated orange zest. Spoon 3 tablespoons of the mayo alongside.