A deliciously moist cake that takes full advantage of blueberry season! And so easy to make – don’t let the number of ingredients fool you into thinking it’s complicated. It’s not.
Why Try? Besides impressing your friends? It’s a great way to get out of the blueberry muffin rut and do something to spice up your use of this healthy fruit.
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- GLAZE, Step 1:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- GLAZE, Step 2:
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Preheat oven to 375°F. Beat butter and sugar together until creamy. Add egg and mix well.
- 2 Mix together flour, salt, baking powder and spices. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the 1 cup milk, beating well.
- 3 Coat dry blueberries in about 1/4 cup flour. Add to batter and stir carefully.
- 4 Pour into greased and floured pan - use an Angel Food cake pan or a Bundt pan. NOTE: The batter will only fill the standard pans about half way, which is fine - do not double this recipe.
- 5 Bake for 45 minutes.
- 6 Allow cake to cool 5 minutes, then carefully invert.
- 7 Combine the 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 cup lemon juice in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until dissolved. Carefully poke holes in cake and brush glaze over all surfaces of the cake as it cools.
- 8 For final glaze, whisk the confectioners’ sugar and 3 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice together. Pour over the top just before serving cake and allow it to drizzle down the side.