This contemporary update of the recipe uses fresh fruit and shaved coconut, and can almost be considered a palate cleanser, similar to a sorbet or light salad.
Why Try? At a large meal, this fresh-fruit version of Ambrosia provides a bright, refreshing contrast.
- 2 jars refrigerated red grapefruit in light syrup, drained
- 3/4 cup large flake sweetened coconut
- 6 seedless navel oranges
- 3 cups fresh cored, peeled, refrigerated pineapple, chunked
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons cream sherry
- 1 Using a sharp knife, cut away peel and white pith from oranges. Slice oranges into 1/8-inch wheels.
- 2 Combine in large bowl with grapefruit and pineapple.
- 3 Add coconut, sugar, salt and sherry and gently toss to blend.
- 4 Chill, covered, at least one hour.