This edgy on-trend breakfast pizza recipe adds a farm fresh egg—perfectly cooked sunny side up—layered on a golden pizza crust with fresh tomato sauce, baby spinach, crisp crumbled Applewood-Smoked bacon and melted cheese.
Why Try? Get in on the hot new trend for adding a cracked egg on top of everything from burgers to salads with these delicious breakfast pizzas topped with farm fresh eggs. Too good to save only for breakfast, this pizza also makes an awesome midnight snack!
- 1 14 ounces prepared pizza dough
- 1 cup crisp crumbled Applewood-Smoked bacon
- Cornmeal for dusting
- Olive oil, as needed
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chunky tomato sauce
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, stems removed
- 1 cup Fontina cheese
- 4 medium eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and black pepper, as needed
- 1 Heat oven to 450°F.
- 2 Divide dough ball into 4 pieces; roll or hand stretch each into a 7-inch crust. Sprinkle lightly with cornmeal and arrange cornmeal side down, on baking sheets.
- 3 Combine butter and spinach in small nonstick skillet and sauté over medium heat for 30 to 60 seconds, stirring constantly, until just wilted; reserve.
- 4 Spread tomato sauce evenly over each pizza; top with spinach and Fontina cheese. Sprinkle bacon around outer edge of each pizza (leaving center open for egg).
- 5 Bake for 4 minutes. Remove pizza from oven.
- 6 Using the back of a spoon, gently push sauce/cheese to outer edge forming an indentation. Gently pour cracked egg in center of each pizza. Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan cheese.
- 7 Return pizzas to oven and bake an additional 5 to 6 minutes or until crust is golden. (If egg whites are not cooked, cover pizza and let sit an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until desired doneness.) Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Cut each pizza into slices.