Start your day off with a wholesome bowl of Irish steel-cut oatmeal loaded with the goodness of multiple Superfoods!
Dried fruit is a convenient alternative to fresh fruits during the winter months and makes an excellent, nutrient-rich topping for a bowl of healthy whole grain oatmeal.
- 1/2 cup dried or fresh apricots, diced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup Irish steel-cut oats
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- Honey, as needed
- Cinnamon, as needed
- Cream, as needed
- 1 Bring water and milk to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- 2 Add oats and salt, stirring frequently until mixture comes back to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- 3 Meanwhile, bring apple juice to a boil in a small saucepan. Add apricots and cranberries; cook a few minutes or until plump.
- 4 Portion piping-hot oatmeal into 4 bowls and sprinkle evenly with plumped fruit and toasted walnuts.
- 5 Serve with honey, cinnamon, and cream to add as needed.