A modern take on a retro classic, these moist chocolaty-rich red velvet cupcakes topped with indulgent cream cheese frosting travel great and make serving carefree and easy for parties and family get-togethers.
Why Try? Cupcakes add a festive note to any occasion and this recipe keeps the prep to a minimum by using a box mix, but frosting them with a rich, creamy homemade buttercream frosting.
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners’ powdered sugar, sifted
- Sprinkles (optional)
- 1 Prepare cake mix according to package directions; spoon batter, 2/3 full, into 24 greased cupcake tins lined with paper. Bake according to package directions; cool.
- 2 Combine softened cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract together in mixer and beat until creamy. Slowly add powdered sugar and beat on medium speed, scraping down sides of bowl, until smooth and fluffy.
- 3 Spread or pipe frosting evenly over cupcakes.
- 4 Top with sprinkles, if desired.