Here’s a delicious departure from the usual summer picnic fare. It’s a great way to put those fresh summer vegetables to good use—in a dish that will be popular with the whole crowd.
Why Try? It’s an easy summer meal you can make ahead.
- 3/4 pound cooked penne pasta
- 1 bunch broccoli florets
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 6-ounce can pitted black olives, drained
- 1 2-ounce jar pimientos, drained
- 2 cups chicken breast, cooked and pulled
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Basil Sauce:
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 Cook pasta according to package directions.
- 2 Combine vegetables and chicken with pasta.
- 3 To make the Basil Sauce, place basil and garlic in food processor or blender and process until minced. Add mayonnaise and sour cream and process for 2 to 3 seconds. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 4 Fold in 2/3 Basil Sauce and 1/3 cup cheese.
- 5 Season with salt and pepper. May be refrigerated up to 24 hours at this point.
- 6 To serve, add remaining basil sauce, taste and adjust seasoning and sprinkle with remaining cheese.