This is a marvelous Mediterranean-style salad of red tomatoes, red peppers and red onions you can serve on vibrant blue platter to celebrate the Fourth of July.
Why Try? It’s a dish you can make ahead of time and hold. Great for potlucks.
- 2 large red peppers
- 6 large, ripe tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and vertically sliced
- Basil-Mint Dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1 Preheat the broiler. Cut red peppers in half vertically and seed them. Place the pepper halves, cut side down, along with the onion strips, in a shallow pan. Broil the vegetables until the pepper skins start to shrivel and pucker, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 2 Peel and seed the tomatoes. Peel the peppers and cut them into 1/4-wide strips. Place them, along with the onions, in a large mixing bowl.
- 3 To prepare the Basil-Mint Dressing: combine oil, vinegar and lemon juice in a small mixing bowl and whisk to blend. Stir in the capers, basil and mint and pour this dressing over the vegetables.
- 4 Gently toss the salad, cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Serve chilled or at room temperature.