This is not a pizza with barbecue sauce – it’s actually grilled on an open barbecue grill!
This Barbecue Grilled Pizza recipe is courtesy of the Chefs at Rattan Direct who thought, ‘Is it possible to make pizza on the barbecue grill using a traditional pizza stone?’ Turns out, it is.
What’s more, the resulting pizza is delicious!
- 1 ready rolled pizza dough
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 block mozzarella
- Fresh marjoram, oregano or thyme, finely chopped
- Mushroom, thinly sliced
- Red onion, thinly sliced
- Black olives
- Olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Light the barbecue with the coals to one side. You need several layers of coals to generate enough heat for the indirect method.
- 2 Wait until the flames die down and close the lid to really get the coals glowing.
- 3 Place the rack on the opposite side to the coals. Place the pizza stone on the rack. Close the lid for about 20 minutes to heat the stone.
- 4 On a tray, scatter a thin layer of semolina. Unroll the dough and remove the paper. Press the dough out with your hands to thin it out and make it the same size as your stone.
- 5 When the stone is hot and the internal temperature of the ‘oven’ has raised, slide the dough onto the stone.
- 6 Spread with sauce, scatter with parmesan, add the herbs, the cheese, and a good grind of pepper. Drizzle with oil all over.
- 7 Close the lid.
- 8 Check the pizza after the first 5 minutes, just to get an indication of how hot the stone is. Check the base and look at how quickly it is browning.
- 9 Close the lid again and cook for about 20 minutes until the base has browned and the top melted.
- 10 By this time, you will have a good indication of how hot your ‘oven is. Depending on the progress of the pizza, you may need to slide the rack across to the coals so that the base crisps up. You can brush the sides with olive oil to aid browning.
- 11 Once the base can’t take any more browning without burning, lift the pizza from the stone.
- 12 Slice the pizza and garnish with arugula, if desired.
- 13 Serve hot and enjoy the moment.