Basic Flaky Pie Crust Dough Recipe. Looking for the perfect pie crust? Here is a wonderful basic flaky dough to use for all your homemade pies!
Recipe Courtesy of Cooking.com.
Makes enough for 1 double crust pie or 2 single crust pies (Serves 8)
Facts per Serving
Calories: 401 Fat, Total: 29g Carbohydrates, Total: 31g
Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 293mg Protein: 4g
Fiber: 1g % Cal. from Fat: 65% % Cal. from Carbs: 31%
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 rounded tablespoon sugar
- 1 rounded teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2/3 cup frozen vegetable shortening, cut into pieces
- 4-6 tablespoons ice water
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Combine flour, sugar and salt in food processor; pulse to blend.
- 2 Add butter and shortening and cut into flour mixture using on/off turns. When mixture resembles coarse meal, transfer to large bowl.
- 3 Combine 4 tablespoons ice water and cider vinegar in small bowl; pour over flour mixture. Stir with fork until moist clumps form, adding additional 2 tablespoons ice water if necessary.
- 4 Gather dough into 2 balls and flatten balls into disks. Wrap in plastic and chill 30 minutes or up to 4 days. Well-wrapped dough can be frozen up to 2 weeks. Allow dough to soften slightly at room temperature before continuing.