Grilling adds a smoky-sweet flavor to pizza that can’t be duplicated in an oven. For this classic BBQ grilled pizza, we layered smoky char grilled chicken, bell peppers, red onions, sizzling bacon, barbecue sauce and sharp Cheddar cheese on thin crust pizza dough grilled until golden and bubbly. Great finished with a drizzle of ranch dressing.
Why Try? This delicious grilled pizza recipe gives you an excellent excuse to fire up the grill even if it’s the middle of winter!
- 1 (16 oz.) prepared pizza dough (refrigerated or purchased from your local
- 3 chicken breast filets, char grilled, sliced into strips (about 12 ounces grilled chicken)pizzeria)
- Olive oil, as needed
- Cornmeal for dusting
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce, divided
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup bell pepper strips (red, orange or green)
- 1/2 cup thin sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup crisp diced bacon
- 1 Preheat grill to medium-low heat.
- 2 Divide dough evenly into 2 pieces. On a lightly oiled cutting board or parchment paper, roll out or hand-stretch each portion of dough into a rustic oval-round shape. Brush top sides of each lightly with oil; dust lightly with cornmeal, if desired
- 3 Carefully flip rolled dough on to the grill. Grill for 2 minutes or until grill marks appear. Using a spatula, flip and grill, cornmeal dusted side down, briefly just until lightly grilled.
- 4 Remove from grill and place crusts, cornmeal side down, on a flat work surface.
- 5 Spread 1/4 cup barbecue sauce evenly over each crust; top each with 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup bell peppers, 1/4 cup red onions, 1/4 cup diced bacon and 6 ounces grilled chicken strips. Drizzle remaining barbecue sauce evenly over chicken and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 6 Carefully slide each pizza back on the grill, cover and cook over low heat for 2 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown. Be sure to check the pizza often or it may burn.