A hearty holiday gift basket that’s as beautiful as it is delicious to cook and eat.
Why Try? Piping hot chili or soup on a cold winter day—what could be better?
- 3/4 cup great northern white beans
- 1/2 cup split green peas
- 3/4 cup black beans
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. ea) fire roasted tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup red kidney beans
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1/2 cup pinto beans
- 10 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 3/4 cups dried Shitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup dehydrated onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dehydrated parsley
- 1 teaspoon dehydrated garlic, minced
- 10 cups water
- Salt, as needed
- 1 loaf baguette (optional)
- 3 ounces Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 PREPARATION OF GIFT BASKET:
- 2 In a 6 cup glass mason jar, carefully add beans in layers starting with red kidney beans and ending with pinto beans.
- 3 Place unwrapped bouillon cubes on pinto beans and cover with dried mushrooms.
- 4 Close lid and secure over mushrooms.
- 5 In a clear bag or sachet, layer black pepper, parsley and minced onion. Secure bag to jar with ribbon.
- 6 Arrange in a gift basket with two cans of diced tomatoes, a baguette and wedge of Parmesan cheese.
- 7 PREPARATION OF BEAN CHILI MEAL (Cooking Instructions):
- 8 Remove dehydrated mushrooms and bouillon cubes from top of jar.
- 9 Empty all of the beans, peas and lentils into a large cooking pot and cover with water to a level 2 inches over the beans.
- 10 Bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, skim and discard foam. Set aside for 2 to 3 hours.
- 11 Once beans have hydrated and softened, drain and rinse them. Add 10 cups of water, bouillon cubes, seasonings, mushrooms and tomatoes.
- 12 Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 to 2 hours until beans are tender. Adjust seasoning with additional salt if desired.
- 13 Split the baguette, shred the cheese. Cover baguette halves with cheese, melt cheese on the baguette in a hot oven and serve with remaining cheese to garnish chili.