American Buffalo (bison) meat has a rich, slightly sweet meaty flavor and lean fine marbled texture. We pan-seared our bison burgers in a cast iron skillet, but they are just as delicious done on the grill. Bacon, crispy onion straws, barbecue sauce and pickles add bold flavor to this bison burger recipe- but they are just as delicious simply topped with your favorite condiments! This is part of a series done with Sandwich America to feature some of our country’s great sandwiches!
Want to see how it’s done? We have the video right here!
- 11/2 pound ground bison
- To taste, salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices Gouda cheese
- 4 sandwich buns, split, butter toasted
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 4 dill pickle slabs, drained
- 8 strips bacon, cooked crisp
- 1/4 cup smoky-sweet-type BBQ sauce
- As needed, crispy onion straws, oven-baked according to package directions
- 1 Gently form ground bison into 4 (6-ounce each) patties (do not overwork ground bison).
- 2 Season with salt and black pepper.
- 3 Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- 4 Add bison patties and cook on each side for 3 to 5 minutes, or to desired doneness.
- 5 Top patties with sliced cheese and cook until cheese melts.
- 6 Spread mayonnaise evenly over bottom halves of toasted buns; top evenly with shredded lettuce, pickles, and burgers.
- 7 Top burgers evenly with bacon, crispy onion straws and a drizzle of barbecue sauce.
- 8 Close with top halves of toasted buns.