Buttermilk Doughnut Muffins are part of our 2014 Dessert Trends. Some call them Duffins, but we just call them amazing! Are they breakfast? Or are they dessert? Make them yourself and decide–we couldn’t!
- For Muffins:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- For Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2 Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- 3 Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and baking soda. Set aside
- 4 In a small bowl, whisk together half and half and buttermilk. Set aside.
- 5 Beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light in color and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- 6 Beat in eggs one at a time until combined.
- 7 Add dry ingredients alternately with the half and half/buttermilk mixture.
- 8 Fill the prepared muffin pan wells. Bake until muffins are lightly golden and firm to the touch, about 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Transfer the muffins to a wire rack set over a baking sheet.
- 9 Prepare a glaze using 1 cup confectioner's sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of milk or half and half, adding a little at a time to get the consistency you want.
- 10 Pour over top of partially cooled muffins or dip the whole muffin, then let set.