Crunchy-sweet caramel corn – what could be better? How about buttery-sweet homemade caramel corn tossed with crispy bits of salty-sweet brown sugar-candied bacon and rich chocolatey Peanut Butter M&M’s chocolate candies? This Halloween treat has it all! Use thin-sliced bacon in this recipe for extra crispy candied bacon.
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 16 cups popped popcorn
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1½ cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups Peanut Butter M&M’s® Chocolate Candies
- 1 Dredge bacon slices in 3/4 cup brown sugar until completely coated on both sides; arrange on a wire baking rack sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and layer on a baking sheet.
- 2 Bake uncovered in a preheated 350°F for 20 minutes, or until bacon is fully cooked and crisp. Immediately transfer bacon to paper towels and drain briefly; chop crisp bacon into small bits.
- 3 Combine candied bacon bits and popcorn in a large bowl coated with butter or cooking spray; season to taste with salt.
- 4 Combine white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, corn syrup and water in a saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches 240°F.
- 5 Remove from heat and stir in butter. Return to heat and continue cooking until mixture reaches 300°F. Remove from heat.
- 6 Carefully add vanilla, baking soda and 1½ teaspoon salt to saucepan and quickly stir to blend. (Mixture with bubble and foam when these ingredients are added to saucepan.)
- 7 Working quickly, pour mixture over popcorn and stir until blended with a large spoon or tongs sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- 8 Add Peanut Butter M&M’S and stir until blended; cool.