Crisp bacon and caramelized onions make perfect partners in this craveable, savory tart.
Why Try? This tart is a terrific appetizer to serve at a big party. It is easy to make and it eats as good as it looks.
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 4 medium onions, cut lengthwise, sliced thin
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 2 Unroll piecrust; press into a dark coated 8-inch tart pan. Parbake shell for 10 minutes. Let cool.
- 3 Lower oven to 350°F.
- 4 Cut raw bacon slices into cubes. In a medium frying pan over medium heat cook bacon just until it starts to crisp. Place bacon pieces on paper towel to drain.
- 5 In pan with bacon fat, caramelize the sliced onions until they become a deep rich caramel brown.
- 6 Mix ricotta cheese, egg yolk, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano. Spread onto bottom of tart shell.
- 7 Arrange caramelized onions over top to cover ricotta mixture. Sprinkle rest of cheese over onions and arrange bacon pieces on top.
- 8 Bake for 40-45 minutes.