Old-fashioned coleslaw is updated here with generous additions of celery, radishes and shrimp and with Spain’s distinctive pimentón de La Vera, a smoked paprika. A sprinkle of crispy bacon pieces and crumbled blue cheese adds additional flavor.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- FOR THE CREAMY CIDER VINAIGRETTE: 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream or buttermilk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup unfiltered cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mild Spanish smoked paprika, pimentÃ³n de La Vera
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 pound apple wood–smoked bacon slices
- 1/2 head green cabbage, cored and shredded
- 5 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 6 green onions, white and light green portions, chopped
- 1 bunch red radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese, preferably
- 1 To make the vinaigrette, in a food processor or blender, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, olive oil, vinegar, mustard and garlic and process until smooth. Set aside. (The vinaigrette can be made up to 1 day in advance, covered tightly and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before using.)
- 2 In a large bowl, toss together the shrimp, olive oil, paprika, and a little salt and pepper. Preheat a large nonstick fry pan over medium-high heat. Add half of the shrimp and sauté until they turn pink and are opaque throughout, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and repeat with the remaining shrimp. Set aside to cool.
- 3 Rinse the fry pan, wipe dry and return to medium heat. Add the bacon slices and fry, turning as needed, until crisp, about 6 minutes. Using a slotted spatula, transfer to paper towels to drain. Let cool, then crumble and set aside.
- 4 To assemble the slaw, add the cabbage, celery, green onions, radishes, parsley and vinaigrette to the shrimp and toss to coat all the ingredients evenly. Season with salt and pepper and toss again.
- 5 Transfer the slaw to a serving bowl or deep platter. Sprinkle the crumbled bacon and the blue cheese over the top. Serve immediately.