For many Americans, Thanksgiving would not be complete without a bowl of steaming mashed potatoes on the table. Families often have their own special version of this holiday side dish, which takes well to creative variations. In our recipe, Yukon Gold potatoes, which are prized for their naturally rich, buttery flavor, are paired with cheddar cheese to give the dish a robust flavor and warm golden hue. Fresh chives add a colorful finishing touch.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 4 pounds large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 Put the potatoes in a large stockpot, add water to cover by 2 inches and generously salt the water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the potatoes are tender when pierced, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain well in a colander and let stand for 5 minutes. Set a potato ricer over a large bowl and pass the potatoes through in batches.
- 2 Preheat an oven to 450°F. Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- 3 In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm the half-and-half and butter until the butter melts and small bubbles appear along the edges of the pan. Remove from the heat.
- 4 Add the half-and-half mixture to the potatoes and stir until just combined. Add 1 cup of the cheese and 3 tablespoons of the chives and stir until just combined. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the potatoes into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup cheese.
- 5 Bake until the cheese is melted and lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes, then sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon chives. Serve immediately.
- 6 TIP: Peel and quarter the potatoes 1 day in advance; place them in a bowl, add cold water to cover and refrigerate. If desired, cook and mash the potatoes up to 2 hours before serving, but do not add the cheese and chives. Cover the potatoes tightly with plastic wrap and keep warm in a bain-marie (hot water bath). Just before serving, fold in the cheese and chives and bake as directed.