This pie came from a family recipe and was perfect for illustrating The Food Channel’s Chocolate Trends report. The report calls out the combination of chocolate and cinnamon as popular for a variety of reasons–chief among them, the great taste! Try it and see for yourself.
- 30 chocolate wafers
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 1 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Mexican vanilla
- 2-4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream (optional, for topping)
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar (optional, for topping)
- 1 Crust:
- 2 Crush cookies in blender or food processor until only small crumbs remain.
- 3 Mix in butter and cinnamon.
- 4 Process until thoroughly blended.
- 5 Press mixture into pie plate.
- 6 Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Cool crust to room temperature.
- 7 Filling:
- 8 Melt chocolate and 1/2 cup whipping cream in microwave in 30-60 second intervals. Stir between heating cycles.
- 9 Add vanilla and allow to cool.
- 10 Whip cream in separate mixing bowl until stiff. Add powdered sugar and ensure that it’s thoroughly blended.
- 11 Carefully fold whipped cream into cooled chocolate mixture.
- 12 Spoon into pie shell and gently press into place using spoon or knife.
- 13 Cover with a bowl, and cool in refrigerator at least overnight.
- 14 Topping (Optional):
- 15 Whip cream and sugar as previously described. Spread topping over the center of the pie, or use a pastry bag to pipe 1/2 inch stars across the top.