This recipe uses mayo in place of the eggs and oil. It results in a cake that is marvelously moist and delectable.
Why Try? You probably have all these ingredients right on hand, and it’s a pretty easy recipe for a scratch cake.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- FOR CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2 Grease two 8-inch round cake pans and dust them lightly with flour.
- 3 Sift together the flour, cocoa, and baking soda in a small bowl.
- 4 In a separate bowl, mix together the sugar and mayonnaise, then beat in the water and vanilla.
- 5 Gradually add in the dry mixture and mix well.
- 6 Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- 7 Make the frosting while the cake is baking.
- 8 In a work bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter. Sift the sugar and cocoa powder together and gradually add to the butter, beating well after each addition. Add the cream and vanilla. Beat until well blended and fluffy.
- 9 Remove the cake from the oven, remove the layers from the pans, and place them on wire racks to cool.
- 10 Frost cake.