Chocolate Orange Truffles are a favorite candy to treat your guests to during any holiday season.
Why Try? Truffles may sound sophisticated (translate: difficult) but these are actually quite easy to make in a few simple steps.
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken into chunks
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange flavoring
- Cocoa powder
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
- 1 Heat the whipping cream and butter together just to a simmer, then add chocolate. Remove from heat while chocolate melts. Add flavoring. Stir until glossy and pour into a chilled bowl. Set aside until firm.
- 2 Once firm, use a small melon baller and scoop ganache out. Roll by hand, using cocoa powder to reduce stickiness. Chill until firm.
- 3 Melt 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate with 2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening in the microwave for about 1 minute. Stir until melted; microwave additional seconds as needed. Drop each ball individually into chocolate, roll with a fork until coated, then use the fork to lift out and place on parchment paper. Chill and keep refrigerated.