This slow roasted brisket is a great fall dish that you can leave alone for several hours. The slower the brisket cooks the more tender it will be. Serve the juices alongside the meat and vegetables.
The Neptune Choulent Seasoning Mix can be found exclusively in the Food Channel Store.
Foodie Byte: Roasting the vegetables enhances the flavors and does not add a lot of fat and calories. When the brisket is finished let it rest about 10 minutes. This prevents the juices from leaking out. Here in culinary we liked the rich flavor chicken broth adds to the beef brisket, but you can certainly use beef broth. We chose to roast the brisket in the LeCreuset 2 1/4 quart braiser because it is easy to sear the meat at a high temperature and finish the dish covered in the oven. The secure lid locks in the heat and moisture, while cooking, helping to break down tough cuts of meat, making the meat and vegetables tender.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon Neptune Choulent Seasoning Mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 pound beef brisket
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 20 small new potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 4 carrots peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 onion, cut into 8 wedges.
- 1 Heat oven to 350° F.
- 2 Place 3 tablespoons of choulent seasoning mix, salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper in a small bowl and stir to combine. Rub the brisket evenly with the seasoning mixture; set aside.
- 3 Place 3 tablespoons oil in a large dutch oven and heat over medium high.
- 4 Add the brisket and sear on both sides to form a nice brown crust, about 8 minutes total.
- 5 Add the chicken broth, cover and roast in the oven for 3-31/2 hours or until the brisket is fork tender.
- 6 In the meantime, combine the potatoes, carrots, parsnip and onion into a medium size bowl. Add 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon choulent seasoning mix and ¼ teaspoon pepper and mix well.
- 7 Transfer vegetables to a baking sheet pan and roast until fork tender, approximately 40 minutes.
- 8 Add the vegetables to the dutch oven and bake for another 10 minutes.