These are a must for a quick family breakfast. They will become a favorite because they are hot-fresh-delicious and fun and easy.
Why Try? This is a great way to entertain kids from 10 to 16 – just make the donuts and let the kids ice them as they like.
- 2 packages refrigerated buttermilk biscuits, small 7.5 oz.
- 5 cups vegetable oil
- ICING VARIATIONS:
- Vanilla Donut Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk or half & half
- 3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- CHOCOLATE DONUT FROSTING:
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chocolate frosting
- CINNAMON SUGAR DONUT COATING:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 Pre heat oil in a skillet or electric counter-top fryer to 365°F.
- 2 Open biscuit package, round the edges of biscuits and poke a hole in each one. Lay biscuits on a tray or plate.
- 3 Place biscuits one by one in hot oil. With a skewer or tongs, check the color of the underside of each biscuit and turn when they reach the desired light golden brown color (approx. 35 to 45 seconds). Check the bottom again and remove donuts when they have evenly browned on both sides.
- 4 Drain donuts on a baking rack for 5 to 6 minutes and dip in glaze or desired topping. If sprinkles are to be applied do so before icing or glaze dries.
- 5 Vanilla Donut Glaze - in a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and whisk with a wire whip until well blended.
- 6 Chocolate Donut Frosting - in a glass mixing bowl, heat chocolate chips in microwave until melted. Add frosting and whisk with a wire whip until smooth. Reheat for a few seconds until frosting is slightly runny. Thicker frosting will translate to thicker coverage on donuts. To thin frosting, reheat periodically.
- 7 Cinnamon Sugar Donut Coating - combine all ingredients.