Chocolate for breakfast! Make the week-end extra special with this indulgent French toast recipe made with rustic artisan-style country bread griddled golden and delicious topped with a colorful medley of fresh berries and luscious dark chocolate sauce.
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pinch coarse sea salt
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 (16 oz.) container of strawberries, rinsed, trimmed, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 cup mixed fresh berries (such as raspberries, blueberries and blackberries)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup half & half cream
- 8 (1-inch thick) slices rustic artisan-style country bread
- Maple syrup, as needed
- 1 To prepare chocolate sauce: combine heavy cream, water and salt in a small heavy saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat; add chopped chocolate and 2 tablespoons butter to cream mixture. Whisk until chocolate is melted and sauce is smooth. Reserve.
- 2 Combine strawberries and sugar in a medium size bowl and toss to blend. Add mixed fresh berries and gently stir to blend. Reserve.
- 3 To prepare French toast: combine eggs and half & half cream in a shallow container and whisk to blend.
- 4 Working in several smaller batches, dip sliced bread into batter to evenly coat; drain excess.
- 5 Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add soaked bread and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining slices.
- 6 Serve hot topped with fresh berries, maple syrup (if desired) and warm dark chocolate sauce.