This salad is a regular on French Provencal menus when asparagus is in season. The marriage of flavors when you serve eggs and asparagus together is fabulous and you’ll find it in many different dishes. From Italian Frittatas to French Quiches eggs and asparagus go hand in hand but my favorite is when they are served together in this salad! If you have never made a browned butter and toasted pecan dressing you are in for a treat! With the simple addition of a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice you also have a sauce that is perfect to serve with any white fish!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup pecans toasted and smashed in a mortar and pestle
- 1 – 1¼ pound fresh asparagus
- 4 eggs
- 8 slices bacon cooked to crisp
- 1 Heat butter until melted then cook until lightly nutty brown.
- 2 Add pecans to butter and set aside.
- 3 Steam asparagus for 2-3 minutes then plunge into an ice water bath to stop the cooking process.
- 4 Bring a large pan of water to a light boil, crack the eggs and gently place into the boiling water.
- 5 Poach for about 3 minutes or until lightly set.
- 6 Divide the asparagus between 4 plates; top each with a poached egg.
- 7 Drizzle with the brown butter dressing then top with two bacon slices.