Made entirely on an outdoor grill, this Peri Peri Chicken uses a delicious blend of South African spices, including the bird’s eye chili that gives the chicken its signature heat. You will need to know how to spatchcock a chicken, watch the video below for tips!
Want to see how it’s done? We have the video right here!
- 1 small chicken of roughly 2lbs
- For The Sauce:
- 1 pointed red pepper
- 4 birds eye chilies
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- Juice of 2 large lemons
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 sprig fresh oregano
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Light the barbecue coals and immediately place the pepper in the flames. You want to set up so you have a cool section of the grill with no coals underneath.
- 2 Blacken the pepper, turning on all sides, and remove from the flames over to the cool side.
- 3 Add all of the ingredients to a saucepan suitable for using over the coals.
- 4 Once the flames have died down and the coals are white, place the saucepan over the heat.
- 5 Let the contents bubble.
- 6 Strip the flesh from the pepper and add it to the pan. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes whilst you spatchcock the chicken.
- 7 To spatchcock a chicken flat for the grill, you need to cut out the backbone with a sharp heavy knife. Holding the chicken with its back towards you, and breast facing forward, cut down one side, and then the other. You can watch how this is done in the video. Turn the chicken over, give it a bash to flatten out and then slash all over.
- 8 Blend the sauce and rub it all over the chicken.
- 9 The coals should now be cool enough to cook the chicken, although with the sauce it may still be prone to burn over the direct heat. Move it around, sometimes over the cool area, and keep the lid closed.