Grilled Reuben Sandwich Recipe. One legend holds that Reuben Kolakofsky, a wholesale grocer in Omaha, Nebraska, created the Reuben Sandwich. Another claims that it came from Reubens in New York City.
Recipe courtesy of Kraft Foods
Calories: 500, Total fat: 25 g, Saturated fat: 10 g, Cholesterol: 90 mg, Sodium: 2000 mg, Carbohydrate: 39 g, Dietary fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 30 g, Vitamin A: 8 %DV, Vitamin C: 6 %DV, Calcium: 20 %DV, Iron: 25 %DV
- 8 slices rye bread
- 3/4 pound corned beef, sliced
- 1 cup CLAUSSEN Sauerkraut, well drained
- 4 KRAFT DELI DELUXE Aged Swiss Cheese, halved
- 1/2 cup KRAFT Thousand Island Dressing
- 8 teaspoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 COVER each of 4 bread slices with layers of corned beef, sauerkraut, cheese and dressing; top with second bread slice.
- 2 SPREAD both sides of sandwiches with butter.
- 3 COOK in skillet on medium heat for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown on both sides.
- 4 SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with a fresh fruit salad.
- 5 SUBSTITUTE: 1 cup creamy coleslaw for the sauerkraut.