Rich & creamy scalloped potatoes are an excellent make-ahead choice for large family gatherings and pair well with almost any protein including ham, steak or roast beef, pork loin, turkey, or roast chicken.
Why Try? Scalloped potatoes are a great special occasion potato dish that transports easily. This recipe features rich Gruyere cheese and fresh leeks.
- 4 medium leeks, thin sliced
- 5 pounds (about 10 medium) russet potatoes, peeled and sliced ⅛-inch thick
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 2 Melt butter in large Dutch oven over medium heat. When the foaming subsides, add leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 4 minutes.
- 3 Add garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook for about 30 seconds.
- 4 Add potatoes, broth and cream; heat to simmer. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the potatoes are almost tender (a paring knife can be slipped into and out of a potato slice with some resistance), about 15 to 20 minutes.
- 5 Transfer the mixture to a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake until cream is bubbling around the edges and top is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- 6 Cool slightly before serving.