Harissa, a rich fiery red Mediterranean garlic chili paste, adds bold flavor to grilled and roasted meat and seafood, sauces, pasta, sandwiches, soups and condiments. For this recipe we marinated bone-in chicken breasts in a blend of harissa, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice and slow roasted until tender and juicy. If desired, accompany with the enclosed recipe for cucumber yogurt sauce seasoned with toasted cumin seed. Harissa roast chicken tastes delicious served with couscous pilaf and garlic and olive oil-roasted vegetables.
- 6 tablespoons Harissa Paste and Spread, divided (we used Neptune brand)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 4 large bone-in skin-on chicken breasts (about 4 lbs.)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- ½ hothouse cucumber, peeled, seeded, fine chopped (about 1 cup)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seed, toasted, coarse ground
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, coarse ground
- 6 cups toasted Israeli-style couscous pilaf with roasted vegetables (optional)
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2 To prepare harissa marinade; combine 2 tablespoons Harissa Paste and Spread, ½ cup olive oil, ½ cup lemon juice, 4 garlic cloves and ½ teaspoon kosher salt in a bowl and whisk to blend.
- 3 Arrange chicken breasts in a baking dish; spread harissa marinade evenly over chicken. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours, turning frequently to evenly coat.
- 4 To prepare yogurt cucumber sauce: combine yogurt, cucumber, 2 tablespoons each lemon juice and olive oil, cumin, ½ teaspoon salt and black pepper in a bowl and stir to blend. Cover and chill.
- 5 Drain chicken breasts and arrange in a baking dish; discard marinade.
- 6 Roast chicken uncovered for 45 to 60 minutes or until fully cooked. Spread 1 tablespoon additional Harissa Paste and Spread over each chicken breast.
- 7 Accompany with cucumber yogurt sauce, if desired.