These intensely flavored Cannoli’s are perfect for a glee-filled night when family and friends gather, harkening back to days of old.
Chef Tip: If you desire to leave out any liqueur (in the way of Calvados seen below), simply boil 1/2 cup apple cider or juice until it reduces to 1/4-cup. Cool completely before proceeding with the recipe. Omit the schnapps altogether if desired, replacing with either rum, vanilla or mint extract.
- 16 ounces Mascarpone cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup minced figs, dates or raisins
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon apple schnapps
- 1/4 cup Calvados or apple cider
- 1 cup evaporated skim(fat-free) milk
- 10 prepared cannoli shells*
- 1 In a large bowl, beat first 7 ingredients together until smooth with a tabletop or hand-held mixer.
- 2 Scoop half, or even a quarter, of the cheese filling into a plastic baggie at a time.
- 3 Snip off a corner of the baggie and close the open part. Pipe cannoli filling into one end of the shell and finish filling from the other end. Repeat with remainder of shells.
- 4 Cover and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes for the filling to set.
- 5 Remove, dust with additional powdered sugar if desired and enjoy. It's Just That Simple!™