Heart Shaped Fries. Want to make an impression with that certain someone? How about delicious golden French fries shaped like Valentine hearts?
Why Try? Everyone LOVES French fries, so why not fries shaped like LOVE?
- 4 large baking potatoes
- Kosher salt
- Oil for frying
- 1 Using a soft-bristled brush clean the potatoes before slicing them.
- 2 Slice large unpeeled potatoes 1/8-inch thick, and with a 3-inch heart cookie cutter, cut into the potato making a heart shape.
- 3 As you go, place the cut potatoes in a bowl of ice water to release some of the starch. For best results soak up to 8 hours or overnight in refrigerator.
- 4 In a 5-quart pot or Dutch oven fitted with a candy or deep-frying thermometer, (or in an electric deep fryer), heat oil over medium-low heat until the thermometer registers 325°F.
- 5 Drain water from cut fries and wrap potato pieces in a clean towel and thoroughly pat dry.
- 6 Increase the heat to medium-high and add fries, a few at a time, to the hot oil. Fry potatoes, stirring occasionally, until they are soft, limp and begin to turn a blond color, about 6 to 8 minutes. Using a skimmer or a slotted spoon, carefully remove from oil and set aside to drain on paper towels. Let rest for at least 10 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- 7 When ready to serve, reheat the oil to 350°F. Transfer the blanched potatoes to the hot oil and fry again, stirring frequently, until golden brown and puffed, about 1 minute. Transfer to paper lined platter and sprinkle with salt, to taste.