Sweetly crisp and reminiscent of cuddling up by the hearth, nibbling on these treats with a cup of hot cocoa and a loved one, Apple Sugar Cookie Tarts are the perfect fall comfort food.
For the Sugar Cookie Crust
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon rum extract or vanilla
- 1 cup flour
For the Caramelized Apple Topping
- 1 large or 2 small apples
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 In a large bowl, add the butter and sugar. With a stout spoon, mix very well.
- 2 It doesn't have to be smooth and fluffy, just combined well. Add the egg and rum extract, continuing to mix thoroughly.
- 3 Add the flour and mix until well incorporated. Sprinkle some powdered sugar on a work surface, transfer cookie dough and knead for 30 seconds, continuing to add powdered sugaras needed to prevent sticking.
- 4 Roll out to about a 1/2-inch thick and large enough to fit into a 9 or 10-inch nonstick, oven-safe skillet. If you don't have nonstick pan, a cast iron pan will work just fine.
- 5 Place rolled cookie dough on a sugar-dusted plate and put in refrigerator until needed.In the meantime, preheat oven to 375-degrees F. and peel, core and wedge apple(s) to 3/4-inch in thickness; set aside
- 6 Heat 2 tablespoons butter in your 9-10-inch nonstick, oven-safe skillet over medium high heat
- 7 When melted, sprinkle both sugars over the butter evenly. Let cook until it becomes a light brown, or amber-colored
- 8 Keep an eye on this because once it starts to brown, it can burn in a matter of seconds
- 9 Lay apple wedges in a circular pattern carefully into this sugar syrup, reduce heat to medium and cook apples for 5 minutes
- 10 Carefully flip each apple wedge over, dust with desired amount of cinnamon and cook an additional 5 minutes
- 11 Grab your sugar cookie dough and carefully place it over the apples, pricking thetop of it for steam venting
- 12 Immediately put the skillet into theoven and bake 12-14 minutes, or until the cookie is starting to brown on top
- 13 Immediately remove from oven to rest for 1 minute, NO LONGER
- 14 Grab a plate the same size or larger, and carefully invert your creation onto the plate. Spray a pizza cutter with nonstick cooking spray, or use a sharp, non serrated knife that has been sprayed, and cut into wedges
- 15 Enjoy while warm or let itcool to form an amazingly crispy, sugary, caramelized crust