You can make this cider with either apple or cranberry juice. Apple juice is traditional, but cranberry juice is a good choice during the winter and holiday season.
Recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 1 orange, washed
- 4 cups (1 quart) apple juice or cranberry juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 SLICE THE ORANGE. Put the orange on a cutting board and use a knife to slice it crosswise to make 8 thick slices.
- 2 COMBINE THE INGREDIENTS. Choose whether you want apple juice or cranberry juice cocktail for your hot drink. Combine your juice of choice, the cinnamon sticks and the cloves in a saucepan.
- 3 WARM THE MIXTURE. Place the saucepan over medium heat and warm the juice until tiny bubbles appear around the edges of the pan. Simmer gently for 20 minutes, reducing the heat as needed to keep the juice from boiling. Remove the pan from the heat.
- 4 SERVE THE CIDER. Place 1 orange slice in each mug. Ladle the hot cider over the orange slices.
- 5 Decorate the edge of each mug with a second orange slice. First cut a slit into the center of the orange slice and then place it over the rim of the mug. Serve immediately.