Street food is having a moment in the spotlight, often showcasing cultural cuisines from around the globe. Indian Bhel Puri, a popular street food in Mumbai, is a sweet, sour, hot, and cold concoction that will blow your mind on first taste! The spice that ties these dishes together is known as chaat masala, a combination of hot and pungent spices that is unlike your average spice blend and full of explosive flavor.
Want to see how it’s done? We have the video right here!
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, cored, deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 boiled potatoes, roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoon boiled mung beans
- 1 small bunch coriander, chopped
- 3/4 cup mixed sev, puffed rice and peanuts (sev mamra)
- 1/4 cup poppadoms, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- For The Coriander Chutney:
- Small bunch mint
- Small bunch coriander
- 1 green chili
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, juice only
- For The Date and Tamarind Chutney:
- 6 pitted dates
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 Make the coriander chutney by blitzing together the ingredients until smooth.
- 2 To make the date and tamarind chutney, put the water, paste, and dates into a saucepan.
- 3 Simmer until the dates are soft.
- 4 Add the spices with the sugar and cook for a further 5 minutes. Blitz and cool.
- 5 Mix all the ingredients together and serve with the two chutneys. Eat immediately.