The rub and chipotle butter turn this inexpensive cut of beef into a truly memorable dining experience.
Why Try? Flank steak is a relatively inexpensive cut of meat, yet very flavorful.
- 1 one-pound flank steak, trim off any excess fat
- FOR THE RUB:
- 1 1/4 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- FOR THE CHIPOTLE BUTTER (Yields 1/2 cup):
- 1/4 pound (1/2 stick) butter, completely softened at room temperature
- 2 canned Chipotle chiles, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- FOR THE STEAK:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 recipe Chipotle butter
- 1 For the Chipotle Butter - In a small bowl, cream butter with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add the other ingredients until evenly blended. Taste and add more salt if needed. Use plastic wrap to shape and smooth, mold butter into log about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic and transfer into refrigerator.
- 2 For the steak: Half hour before grilling coat the steak with the oil and pat on all of the rub coating evenly on both sides. Sprinkle both sides of the steak with salt. Grill until medium rare about 12 to 15 minutes turning the steak every 3 to 4 minutes to ensure even cooking. The thickest part of the steak should register 135-140°F. Transfer steak to cutting board and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes, then slice. Cut the butter into 1/4-inch slice and set a slice or two on each steak while still warm.
- 3 Make the rub: Mix all the rub ingredients in a small bowl.