Here’s a dessert fit for a king to carry around! Wrapped and shaped into a twist, this version of a King Cake Twists will have everyone eating out of your hands.
Makes 5 large twists
See our article, the 5 Best Mardi Gras Street Eats (to Make at Home), for more great recipes to celebrate the day!
- 1 package refrigerated cinnamon rolls
- Bourbon Vanilla Icing:
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons bourbon
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Optional decorating ingredients-
- Purple sanding sugar
- Green sanding sugar
- Gold food spray
- 1 Preheat oven to package instructions.
- 2 Remove cinnamon rolls from packaging and unroll into a straight line.
- 3 Cut each roll in half into equal parts.
- 4 Put two halves next to each other, and at the top end overlap them and press together.
- 5 Begin weaving them into a twist pattern and wrap the bottom ends together and press firmly
- 6 Bake according to package instructions.
- 7 Remove from oven and place on a wire rack.
- 8 Using a spoon or a silicone brush, apply generous amounts of the icing; it will melt into the outer layer of the twist.
- 9 Decorating:
- 10 While the icing is still warm, sprinkle purple and green sanding sugar across the top of the twist.
- 11 Immediately afterward, spray with gold food spray
- 12 Finish with a light dusting of purple and green sanding sugar.