This incredible lasagna trims prep time because the recipe calls for no-boil noodles. Plus it trims some calories by using fat-free ricotta cheese. But the flavor is high-octane all the way.
Why Try? Lasagna is a classic comfort food the whole family enjoys.
- 2 pounds sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 6 ounces no-boil lasagna noodles (9 noodles)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2(28-oz.) cans crushed tomatoes in tomato puree
- 2 (6-oz.) cans tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 15 ounces fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 extra large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 pounds fresh Mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1 Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2 Heat olive oil in a large skillet; add onions and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- 3 Add the sausage and cook over medium-low heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until fully cooked, stirring often to break up sausage.
- 4 Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons parsley, basil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Simmer uncovered over medium-low heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened.
- 5 In medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, 1 cup Parmesan cheese, 1 egg, 2 tablespoons parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- 6 Ladle 1/3 of meat sauce evenly over the bottom of the 9x12x2-inch rectangle baking dish. Top evenly with 3 noodles, 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture, 1/3 of the sliced Mozzarella cheese and 1/3 of the meat sauce. Repeat process for 2 remaining layers.
- 7 Sprinkle 1/4 cup Parmesan over top; bake uncovered for 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted. Cool slightly before cutting.