This is a simple but flavorful finishing sauce for grilled chicken breasts that’s perfect for a healthy summer dinner on a busy weeknight. At The Food Channel we like to grill extra chicken to store in the refrigerator for use later in pasta dishes or to make delicious chicken salads.
Why try? You get the wonderful taste of fresh herbs and fresh-squeezed lemons that complement the chicken beautifully, without taking the time for marinating or basting. Prepare sauce and pour over the chicken breasts after they come off the grill.
Foodie Byte: By adding the sauce after grilling is finished, you won’t have to worry about burning the delicate fresh herbs. It makes for a better plate presentation and fresher flavor.
Copyright 2011. The Food Channel®. All Rights Reserved. For permission to use in a printed cookbook or commercial website, please contact Editor.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil + 2 teaspoons for grilling
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic (9 cloves)
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (6-8 ounces each)
- 2 lemons for grilling
- 1 Preheat grill.
- 2 Warm the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium low heat, add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Don't allow the garlic to get brown.
- 3 Remove from heat and add the white wine, lemon zest, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, rosemary and salt.
- 4 Brush chicken lightly with olive oil and place on medium-hot grill. Close grill lid.
- 5 Slice lemons in half and place cut side down on grill for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 6 Grill chicken breasts for 2 to 3 minutes on each side to get nice grill marks, then move to less direct heat, so as not to overcook, and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- 7 Finish in 350°F oven for about 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- 8 Place chicken breasts on a platter and pour sauce over them while still warm.
- 9 Squeeze a little lemon juice over the chicken just before serving to bring out the flavor of the herbs and sauce.