A fresh cheese with a slightly sweet flavor, ricotta is produced from whey drained off while making other cheeses, such as mozzarella and provolone. It lends a delicate texture to these melt-in-your-mouth pancakes. Serve with raspberry sauce, if desired.
Makes 12 to 14 pancakes
This recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 In a large bowl, whisk together the ricotta, milk, egg yolks, sugar, lemon zest and juice until smooth. Sift together the flour, baking powder and 1/8 teaspoon of the salt over the ricotta mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- 2 In another large bowl, using a whisk, beat the egg whites until frothy. Add the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and continue beating until soft peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, fold one-third of the egg whites into the ricotta mixture, then gently fold in the remaining whites.
- 3 Preheat a griddle over medium heat. Spray the griddle with nonstick cooking spray. Ladle 1/3 cup batter onto the griddle for each pancake. Cook until bubbles form on top and the pancakes are golden underneath, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook for 1 minute more. Transfer to a warmed plate. Repeat with the remaining batter.