With only a few ingredients you can create a distinctive lemon liqueur that makes a lovely holiday gift, or to serve at your next party.
Why Try? Lemoncello is a fun host or hostess gift to take to a holiday party. Package in a decorative bottle with instructions to serve well chilled.
- 7 lemons
- 1 - 750ml bottle neutral grain spirits, 151-190 proof
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 Wash lemons in warm water and dry well with paper towels.
- 2 Zest lemons using a micro-plane grater, avoiding the bitter white pith of the lemon rind.
- 3 Combine grain spirits and zest in bowl. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 2 weeks.
- 4 Strain using fine mesh colander, pressing the zest to exact maximum flavor; discard solids.
- 5 In a large saucepan, combine water and sugar. Cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves; stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Add to infused alcohol.
- 6 Transfer to sterilized bottles that seal airtight; refrigerate.
- 7 Serve ice cold.