Margarita Mousse Recipe. This is an adults-only dessert, perfect for summer evenings when presented in a margarita glass with sugar on the rim. The tangy flavors of tequila and lime give this creamy mousse an unexpected kick.
Why Try? Everything you love about a margarita in a new form.
Foodie Byte: You can make this dessert ahead of time so you can enjoy your party.
- 10 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 1 tablespoon tequila
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 lime, sliced
- 1 Melt chocolate, let it cool, stirring once or twice.
- 2 Combine sugar and water in a small heavy bottom saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves, about 3 to 4 minutes. Raise the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until the syrup registers 240°F on a candy thermometer, about 8 minutes. When syrup reaches 230°F, start beating the egg whites.
- 3 In a 4½-quart bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer, using the wire whip attachment, beat the egg whites at low speed until frothy. Increase the speed to medium-high, beating until stiff peaks form.
- 4 While beating at medium-low speed, gradually pour the syrup in a slow, steady stream near the side of the bowl onto the beaten whites. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the mixture is completely cool and forms stiff, glossy peaks when the wire whip is lifted.
- 5 Pour the melted white chocolate onto the egg whites and beat on low speed until the chocolate is just incorporated. Beat in the orange liqueur, tequila, lime zest, and salt. Set aside.
- 6 In a clean, chilled 4½-quart bowl of a heavy duty electric mixer, using the wire whip attachment, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- 7 Using a large rubber spatula, gently but quickly fold the whipped cream into the egg white-chocolate mixture. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 3 hours.
- 8 To assemble:
- 9 Spread sugar out evenly in a small dish. Place water in another small dish. Dip the rim of each margarita glass first in the water and then into the sugar.
- 10 Carefully spoon mousse into the prepared glass.
- 11 Garnish with lime slices.
- 12 Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.