This incredible soup is easy to prepare and has a dramatic presentation that is sure to impress your family or guests.
Why Try? Looks beautiful, tastes wonderful. What’s not to like?
- 4 large yellow onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme OR 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 4 slices French bread, toasted
- 4 slices Provolone cheese
- 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1 Heat olive oil in large pot; add onions. Cook over medium-low heat for 20 to 30 minutes, or until onions are well caramelized. Season with salt and pepper.
- 2 Add chicken broth, beef broth, and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- 3 Ladle soup into four oven-proof bowls; top each with 1 slice toast, 1 slice cheese, and 1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve garnished with chives.