This is an old-fashioned side dish that’s becoming popular again. Beets and eggs pickle very well, and this dish is great for making ahead and bringing to a summer picnic or potluck.
Why Try? If you like eggs and beets, you’ll love this combination.
- 13 large eggs, hard-boiled and peeled
- 8 medium beets, untrimmed and unpeeled
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons whole allspice
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 1/2 medium onion, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 Combine sugar, vinegar, water, salt and spices in a saucepan and place over medium heat.
- 2 Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 3 Remove from heat and cool.
- 4 Wash beets and trim the stems, leaving about 1-inch of stem. Place the beets in a pot, cover with water and boil for 15-20 minutes, or until the beets are just tender. Drain, cool, peel and cut off stems.
- 5 Place the beets, onions and eggs in a large jar and pour the sugar-vinegar mixture over them. Cover tightly, allow to cool, and store in refrigerator up to two weeks.