Rhubarb and pears are an unexpected stand-in for pineapple in this favorite dessert. Roasted ginger adds warmth and a bit of sophistication.
Recipe courtesy of McCormick
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, divided
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection Roasted Ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection Cinnamon, Saigon
- 1 pear, peeled, cored and cut into 20 slices
- 2 cups fresh or thawed frozen rhubarb pieces (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Microwave 1/2 cup (1 stick) of the butter and milk in medium microwavable bowl on HIGH 1 1/2 minutes or until butter is melted. Cool to room temperature. Mix sugar, ginger and cinnamon in medium bowl. Set aside. Place remaining 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter in 9-inch round cake pan with 2-inch sides. Place pan in oven 2 to 3 minutes or until butter is melted. Sprinkle 3/4 cup of the sugar mixture evenly over butter. Arrange pear slices, then rhubarb pieces evenly in pan. Set aside.
- 2 Mix flour and baking powder in medium bowl. Set aside. Beat eggs, remaining sugar mixture and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on high speed 5 minutes or until very thick and pale in color, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Gradually add flour mixture alternately with milk mixture, beating on low speed after each addition until smooth. Pour evenly over pear and rhubarb in pan.
- 3 Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 20 minutes. Invert onto cake platter. Serve warm or cool.
- 4 TIP: Cake can also be baked in a 9-inch square pan with 2-inch sides. Prepare as directed.