This rustic soup comes alive with the flavor of sweet caramelized roasted pumpkin or butternut squash. Its golden-yellow color and garnish of smoky-sweet crumbled bacon makes this a real eye-popper and show stopper.
Healthier Option: Omit the bacon and sauté the onions in olive oil. You can also toast the seeds from the pumpkin or squash for a nice crunchy garnish. For a vegetarian option, replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth or water.
- 2 1/2 pounds sugar pumpkin or butternut squash, cut into large chunks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound chopped raw bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 Toss pumpkin chunks with olive oil. Arrange in baking dish and roast uncovered in preheated 350°F oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until tender.
- 2 In large soup pot, cook bacon until crisp; remove bacon with slotted spoon and reserve for the soup garnish. Add onions to soup pot and sauté in bacon drippings over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
- 3 Add roasted pumpkin and chicken broth to soup pot and bring to a boil; remove from heat. Working in several small batches, blend soup in food processor or blender until smooth. Return to soup pot, bring to a simmer and season with salt and pepper.
- 4 Serve soup in large bowls garnished with crisp crumbled bacon.