Here’s a dish that is warm and comforting–and a surprisingly hearty addition to the breakfast table. It’s a great way to warm up when the weather turns chilly!
This is part of our Autumn Breakfast series. Check out all the recipes at this link.
- 2 10.5 oz. packs of Maggi spaetzle
- 1 lb. lean mild sausage
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped sage
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespooons butter
- 3 cups water
- 1 Bring water to a boil on stove top.
- 2 Stir in 2 packs spaetzle.
- 3 Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until tender.
- 4 Remove from heat, before draining pull off 1/2 cup of the water for later use.
- 5 On stove top, fry sausage and break into small crumbles, add salt and pepper to taste.
- 6 Add in fresh chopped sage.
- 7 Once sausage is fully cooked, turn heat on low and add spaetzle back into pan, stirring until well integrated.
- 8 Add in 4 tbsp butter and 1/2 cup heavy cream; stir until well integrated
- 9 Add the reserved 1/2 cup of drained water back into the pot, the starch will serve as a thickening agent.
- 10 Mix well over low heat for approximately 5 minutes.
- 11 Remove from heat and serve.