This savory twist on the classic sweet potato pie combines earthy and savory flavors in roasted sweet potatoes to create a unique seasonal offering that can be served for dessert or as part of the main meal.
The crunch of walnuts and the creamy texture of the sage and sweet potato pie combine to create a flavorful multisensory experience that is both familiar and unexpected.
For a complete look at our 2017 Thanksgiving Recipe series, click the links below to create your entire Thanksgiving meal:
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/4 cup fresh sage, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 to 4 large sweet potatoes (about 5 cups roasted sweet mashed potoatoes)
- 1 pie crust dough
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Sage leaf for garnish
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, crumbles
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2 Place sweet potatoes on a parchment lined baking sheet, poke holes across the top of the potatoes; bake for 45 minutes. Cool.
- 3 Remove skin; mash sweet potatoes. Place in a mixing bowl.
- 4 In a skillet, combine butter and chopped sage. Cook over low heat until butter is fully melted and the ingredients are well integrated; combine with mashed sweet potatoes.
- 5 Add heavy cream, nutmeg, eggs, salt and pepper, mix until well-integrated.
- 6 Place pie crust in the bottom of an ungreased 12-inch pie plate, press firmly against the sides and bottom.
- 7 Add sweet potato mixture: top with chopped walnuts, lightly pressing them into the top of the pie. Bake for 55 minutes.
- 8 Remove from oven; top with parmesan crumbles, salt and pepper. Garnish with a sage sprig. Cool before slicing.