This dish will bring Cajun excitement to the dinner table. It’s a classic New Orleans recipe, featuring shrimp, ham, tomatoes and vegetables atop savory rice that will make for a pleasing dinner that’s on the table in just an hour!
Recipe courtesy of: Campbell’s Kitchen
- 3 tablespoons Crisco® All-Vegetable shortening or CRISCO Stick
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 pound cooked ham, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth or Swanson® Chicken Stock
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder or ground red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
- 3/4 pound medium cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 Heat the shortening in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, green onions, 1/2 cup green pepper, celery, ham, and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until the onion is tender, stirring often.
- 2 Stir the broth, tomatoes, parsley, black pepper, thyme, chili powder and bay leaf in the skillet and heat to a boil. Stir in the rice. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- 3 Stir in the shrimp and remaining green pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until the shrimp are cooked through. Remove and discard the bay leaf before serving.